Tuesday 19 January 2016

Granny's Hat Shop

My first memories in life revolved around Granny.  My mother was bringing my brother to his first day of kindergarten. I was upset because I wasn't allowed to go to kindergarten, but I was excited because Granny was going to bring me to the store, Betty's Hat Shop.  The best part was that she shared the space with the New Lunch Cafe and I would get pop and a donut. A driver arrived soon after we opened and carried a big box of hats into the store. My Granny asked me to carry it to the back of the store; it was bigger than me, but, from experience, I knew that it was light as feathers because it contained hats.  I remember she always praised me for being so strong to carry such a load.  Even though I was only 3, she always tried to teach me life lessons. She said, "Always smile and be happy to see people, and make sure you speak quietly." She would prop me up on the counter and I could watch the many people come in because the new hats were just delivered. The ladies would be talking, laughing and trying on hats.  It was quite chaotic because the store was only 10 feet wide. Betty's hat shop was filled to the brim with hats, gloves, scarves and nylons. The travelling salesmen called her "Carload Betty" because she liked to have a full store. Around lunchtime, my mother came to get me, but I always wanted to stay and work...as if I was working!  Eating donuts and listening to ladies talk about the pretty hats.  Here she is modelling one of her pretty hats.
     
                                       

                  

1 comment: