Sunday 17 January 2016

Why growing up in the pink store?

I was born in 1950 in a house with a great grandmother, a grandmother, a mother, father and an older brother in the age of no television,  just storytelling. As life progressed, I learned by listening to old timers tell their life stories before I was born. For this, I am blessed. As life went on, under the direction of family, I learned to explore the downtown to understand how life was in our small town of Fort Frances. One important lesson was to honour and respect all the people I came across.  I started to write a book about my Grandmother, Betty Anderson, known to me as Granny. She is the creator of the pink store. Her life with her 2 children was very tough and violent with surviving a nasty divorce. And this was in the 1930s when divorce was unheard of. Her rise to becoming a respected business woman is also a great tale to tell. As I went deeper into my research, I realized recounting her life was a huge job so why not blog about all of the stories I want to tell. Hope you enjoy?


5 comments:

  1. Doug... I love the picture of "Betty". It really captures the woman I so fondly remember from my days growing up in FF.
    WTS, you really need to tell the story of how Betty decided to move from her small hat shop into the new building on the opposite side of Scott. You cannot leave out the part when she went to the bank....
    There are stories and then there are stories. I hope you will continue to weave the story of Betty's in your blog.
    Derek Cathcart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will and hope to keep them coming regularly

      Doug

      Delete
  2. Nicely put together Doug. Please write more about the amazing woman Betty was and the legacy of running Betty's now. I wonder what she would think of all the changes since the Hat Shop to today.

    ReplyDelete